After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.
- One year after the approval of this amendment, the following become prohibited:
- Transportation of alcohol (whether it be by large truck or your personal vehicle)
- Import or export of alcohol to/from other countries.
The Congress and the several states shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
- Both the U.S. Congress and state government have the power to enforce alcohol prohibition by any legislation necessary. Note that this mentions both state and federal (recall that the 10th Amendment hadn’t been ratified at this point) get the power to enforce prohibition.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several states, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the states by the Congress.
- This would have nullified prohibition, had all states not ratified the amendment into their constitutions within 7 years.